Home plants with beautiful leaves have always been among the favorites of landscaping. Not everyone can afford to take care of flowering stars, but the number of ornamental and deciduous species is so great that everyone will find a suitable option for themselves. And on a budget, and taste, and size, and the degree of their endurance. A special place in the interiors, and in the hearts of florists, has always held indoor plants with large leaves. And often it's not their size that's their main "trump card" at all.
Large Leaf Stars are a special group of room plants
Large leaves have always been considered one of the most advantageous features for room plants. Such crops are always the first to catch the eye on the counters and are often used by professional designers for good reason. Large-leaved plants bring order into interiors, positively influence the perception of space even in small rooms, compensate for any chaos and disorder. They are the perfect choice both when a bright, catchy accent is needed and when it is necessary to divert attention from the flaws of the interior. A big size of leaves makes a bigger effect on the room situation as if making the plant more severe and tidier.
There are probably quite a few fans of palm trees among fans of houseplants with the biggest leaves. The huge wyles of all representatives of this family attract not only by their gigantic size, but also by their beauty of lines, silhouette, longevity, shade of color and unique character. Indoor palms are not always giants, but their leaves are almost always unimaginably large. Ficuses and Co. are also the first beauties on the list of large-leafed stars.
Large stiff leaves are the virtue of almost all room orchids with the status of popular and unpretentious species. The huge tongue-shaped leaves of phalaenopsis adorn the plant as much as their unique blooms. Orchid greens are often underestimated, but they certainly remain conspicuous and spectacular.
But it is still not palms or orchids that are associated with the best large-leafed room stars, but plants with a very different character. Herbaceous stars and original room lianas are the main contenders for the title of the most spectacular plants with large leaves. If the leaves of palms or orchids are not always the most important thing in their "image", the leaves of herbaceous plants of the ornamental and deciduous group are both the main pride and the most attractive feature.
The assortment of plants whose leaves would be not only large, but also showy, today seems astounding. New varieties and species of cultivars beloved since the last century or their modern novelties on the market make choosing just one candidate for a place in the house a difficult task.
Please also read this.
Lovely spatifillums and anthuriums, luxurious eucharis, inimitable calateas, bright ficuses and classic monsters are just a few names among the big-leaf stars.
From among the large-leafed houseplants, the main favorites are:
- the inimitable leaves of the most bizarre of the indoor ferns, Platycerium, a sight that impresses everyone and always (as with any fern, Platycerium has very large leaves, but its bizarre shape makes this effect even more attractive);
- Classic, veined leaves of the unpretentious shade-tolerant Spathiphyllum and Zantedesium;
- decorated with luxurious mottled aspidistra leaves and even more spotted leaves of non-dwarf diffenbahia varieties;
- Great whimsical banana leaves, including Abyssinian leaves;
- lobed giant leaves of Japanese Fatsia and even larger whimsically dissected leaves of Philodendron tree-like;
- Gorgeous patterned varieties of large-leaf ornamental begonias;
- bird-like feather-like patterns, unfurling from tubes, velvet, perfectly oval leaves of calatheas and maranthas;
- great velvet leaves of cinnigias;
- large for a very compact plant, with bright veins, leaves of beautifully flowering aphelandra;
- more like twig-like compound leaves of zamiokulkas;
- resembling maple-like in shape, dazzlingly brightly colored, often underappreciated leaves of the room maple abutilon and no less expressive leaves of sparmania;
- the inimitable glistening heart-shaped leaves of the beautifully flowering anthuriums and the huge, jewel-like patterned leaves of the crystal anthurium;
- the large leaves of the precious orchids, whose patterns resemble gemstones;
- the wrinkled and shiny, perfectly contrasting leaves of the croissandra crows and Jacobinia corpora in luxurious tassels of inflorescences;
- the inimitably bright bract leaves of the Christmas star poinsettia;
- the whimsical and stiff, oval-tongue-shaped leaves of the elephant ear hemanthus;
- the classic matte greens of the Chilean jasmine, mandevilla loose;
- Huge, tropical-miracle-like leaves of Medinilla magnificata;
- Cut, inimitably striking leaves with perfect lines, which are the pride of all alocasia;
- Traditional giant leaves of Ficus rubrum, etc.
Let's take a closer look at the five most spectacular large-leafed houseplants. Catchy, striking, austere or extravagant, they will seem like real stars if you use their talents properly.
Look at the following page for a list of the five best room plants with large leaves.